St. Stephen’s Anglican Church Cemetery saw its first dated burial in 1869 when nine year old William Thomson was laid to rest. Folklore has it that there were other burials in front of the church between 1862 and 1883 but there is no documentation to verify this.
In early 1883 the church lands were deeded to Bishop Hill and a white picket fence was built around the cemetery. The official cemetery burial records show the first interment as that of ten month old Mary Anne Stritchens. Her remains were laid to rest on October 8, 1883. In 1965 a donation of land by the Woodward family allowed this country church cemetery to expand. By the 1990’s the number of burials had grown to over 500 and the cemetery was nearing capacity.
Visit St. Stephen’s Anglican Church website for more information at ststephensanglican.net
Please contact the church for access to the churchyard.