The pioneer John Muir family purchased the property of Sooke’s first immigrant settler, Captain Walter Colquhoun Grant, 100 acres overlooking Sooke Harbour. It was on this land that Sooke’s first cemetery, “Muirside”, was established.
Ann Miller Muir, matriarch of the Muir family, was the first of the family to pass away, in 1875. Eventually almost fifty graves were counted on the small parcel of land, with the last, that of Emma Welsh, in 1969.
While the cemetery was well-kept in its early history, in later years it fell into disrepair, and with changed ownership of the land, it suffered serious vandalism.
Eventually, with the assistance of the Sooke Lions Club, the Sooke Community Association and other service organizations, and a great deal of volunteer work and public fund-raising, the Sooke Region Historical Society was able to open it as a public park in 2001. It is now a designated regional heritage site.
Visit the Muir Family Cemetery website for more information