The original churchyard was about one-half acre surrounding the church and was planned to accommodate 200 burial plots. The first burial was for the donor of the land, Mr. George Mills, who died on February 1, 1888 at the age of 54. On August 30, 1891, the churchyard was expanded to the east and the Bishop then declared all the burial area to be a cemetery. The cemetery was enlarged on two other occasions until it assumed its present size of two acres and 1700 plots.
Many pioneers of the Saanich Peninsula are buried in Holy Trinity Cemetery. Many plots have no marker stones indicating the names and dates, but there are hand-written receipts, maps, lists and other records made by sextons and wardens over the years.
Early plans of Holy Trinity Cemetery included trees which were planted on the south and west boundaries. Many of these trees are native Douglas fir, but some exotic trees are included, and are found also in the cemetery itself. Two trees which have dedication plaques are an English oak from Windsor Great Park and a Scots pine from Kew Gardens. Both were planted to commemorate the coronation of King George VI in 1937.
Visit Holy Trinity Anglican Church website for more information
Please contact the church for access to the churchyard.