Until 1911 the cemetery extended all the way to the beach of Ross Bay and some graves were located very close to the shoreline. Dallas Road ran from Beacon Hill but ended when it reached what is now Memorial Crescent on the west side of the cemetry. Memorial Crescent was a narrow street called Lover’s Lane which connected Dallas Road to Fairfield Road.
many years before the sea wall was built, there were stories of coffins floating out to sea and children playing with the bones of people whose graves had been washed away by the storms. In 1909 violent storms washed away much of the shoreline of Ross Bay as well as large portions of the bank along sections N and L (mostly Chinese, Japanese, and First Nations peoples were buried in these sections) of Ross Bay Cemetery.
The City decided to build a concrete wall along Ross Bay and extend Dallas Road. Some graves were relocated and the Chinese community moved as many remaining Chinese burials as possible to the new Chinese cemetery at Harling Point.