A Millennium Project of OCS
The goal of the project was to complete restoration and conservation work on 160 monuments in the cemetery during the year 2000. This major project was made possible through support from the Canada Millennium Partnership Program, the BC 2000 Community Spirit Program, the City of Victoria, and public donations.
An “as-is” survey was completed to locate markers and monuments at risk and establish priority lists of sites to be worked on in the following categories:
- ceramic-tiled grave tops
- marble and slate grave tops
- iron fences
- broken or flat-lying grave markers
- broken or vandalized monuments
The work carried out involved:
- Removal of flat-lying markers from the ground; cleaning and resetting them in new cement collars
- Cleaning and preparation of selected ceramic and marble/slate grave tops for repair and resetting. Repair involved recasting new ceramic tiles to replace missing ones and purchasing new marble and slate.
- Brushing and painting of iron fencing. Removal and professional repair was necessary for some sites.
- Repair of broken and damaged monuments.
A detailed report was prepared describing the project from start to finish
Grave Tops and Fences Selected for Restoration
|Catherine Hetherington||P108WS||Tile Top||1914|
|Maud Fulton||M38-W6||Tile Top||1906|
|Alfred Langdale||P-91-WO||Tile Top||1915|
|J A McNeill||T83-W40||Tile Top||1908|
|Capt. E Tynon||C24-E27||Tile Top||1882|
|George Jacques||T80-W42||Tile Top||1909|
|Charles Moss||H59\60W20||Marble + Slate||1887|
|Hon A C Elliott||H72\73 E16||Marble + Slate||1889|
|Herbert Harrison||A38-W32||Marble + Slate||1888|
|George Thomson||B57-E34||Marble + Slate||1894|
|Charlotte Brown||A47\48 W25||Marble + Slate||1923|
|Rithet||R88\89WL||Marble + Slate||1902|
|Henry Pering Crease||Iron Fence||1905|
|Luke Gray||U E47 081||Iron Fence||1897|
Grave Markers and Monuments Selected for Restoration-by Area
|Cpt. M Thain||A-W32-070+071||Marble||1908|
|Hugh L Jones||A-E32-055||Marble||1885|
|Charles W Schultze||B-E31-087||Marble||1887|
The project was carried out through volunteer effort, contracts with professional tradespeople, and the cooperation of the City of Victoria Parks Department. Ross Bay Restoration 2000 stands as our largest single project to date, and we are proud of its scope and the way it has enhanced this beautiful historic site.