Assistance we can provide
Any number of subjects related to old cemeteries and families buried at Ross Bay Cemetery can be researched by our knowledgeable volunteers.
Private tours of Ross Bay Cemetery and The Old Burying Ground
Tours can be selected from a “list of guided tours at Ross Bay Cemetery” or customized to your needs. We can build a tour around families, events or special themes. Schedule a tour and then lunch at the Ross Bay Pub. Tours are also a great event for family or school reunions.
How about a birthday party? A cemetery tour followed by a picnic at the beach.
This is an excellent way to introduce BC history to students. See our School Tour Schedule
Finding grave sites
We have a full database that we use to locate all information available about individual grave sites. We can tell you who is buried in each plot as well as the location of the burial.
We can also have a knowledge volunteer meet you at the cemetery to assist you in locating a grave.
Cleaning and Restoration
Our volunteers work throughout the summer months to clean, restore and repair monuments at Ross Bay Cemetery. We can discuss individual projects and sites with you and either do the work required or assist you in finding a reputable contractor.
All of the services are conducted by volunteers of the Old Cemeteries Society. Responses to queries may take up to several weeks depending upon availability of volunteers. Responses will normally be sent as an e-mail with any scanned documents or photos as attachments. If the response must be sent via Canada Post then postage will be extra, unless otherwise stated above. Payment may be made by cheque or money order payable to “Old Cemeteries Society” (International Money Order if outside Canada)
The Old Cemeteries Society Research Committee will respond to queries and conduct limited research as described below. Please see our contact information at bottom of page.
PLEASE NOTE: The services listed below with an asterisk * are available to members for 50% off the regular fee.
Download the Queries Form here
- British Columbia Vital Events * – Copies of Vital Event registrations may be available for those events which took place in British Columbia during the periods listed below. The microfilms are located at BC Archives in Victoria. Our volunteers will check the applicable microfilm and obtain a printed copy, if available. The fee per copy will be $5 for first registration and $3 each additional.
- Births: 1872 – 1903
- Marriages: 1872 – 1930
- Deaths: 1872 – 1985
- Tombstone/Gravesite Photos (* digital photos only)
- Digital Photos sent as e-mail attachment: $7 for first and $3 each additional.
- Photos printed and mailed: $10 for first and $5 each additional within Canada. International orders will incur additional postage
- Search for Obituaries *
- We will search for obituaries in local Victoria newspapers (1858 – 2006) provided that you supply the date of death or it is readily available to us. Be advised that not all families placed obituaries for their loved ones. The fee is $8 per request with no guarantee that an obituary will be found
- Cemetery Look-ups *
- We will search available local cemetery transcriptions in an attempt to identify place of interment. The fee is $2.50 per search
- General Research Queries
- We will conduct limited genealogical research into those interred in our local cemeteries utilizing the various resources available to us. The fee is $15 per hour. Please contact our Research Committee for details.
- The fee for photocopying is $.25 per page.
To become a member of The Old Cemeteries Society of Victoria please use this printable application form
Use the from below to Contact us via email: