Sea Wall | Finding Graves | Markers |
Note: Both Wesleyan and Reformed Episcopal were later opened for
Section A: Anglican:
Part of the original cemetery. Administered by the
Church of England from 1872 to present. Plans to build a chapel on its section never materialized.
Mary Laetitia Pemberton Pearse, buried in this section, was the first burial
in Ross Bay Cemetery.
Section C: Roman Catholic:
Administered by the Roman Catholic Church since 1873. Of note is the mix of people buried here: Native, Irish, Scottish, English, Dutch, German, French, American, Syrian and Canadian.
Section F (eastern portion): Reformed Episcopal:
The middle and western
portions of F were used as the Potter’s Field and for general use.
In 1879, the Reformed Episcopalians gave the city control of the entire section.
Section G: Wesleyan Methodist:
Allotted to the Wesleyan Methodists in 1873,
but given back to general use in 1879.
Section H: Presbyterian:
Administered by the church since 1873. Many non-Presbyterians were buried here, such as the Sir James Douglas and Dr. Helmcken families.
See the Grave Inventory for a detailed description of some of the graves in Section H.
Sections K & L:
From Ross Bay Cemetery’s opening until 1904
when section N opened, most Chinese and Japanese, as well as First Nations
peoples, were buried in these sections. Many graves in Section L were
washed away in the winter storm of 1909.
Section N: General:
This section suffered damage when the big
storms washed away many graves along the cemetery’s seaward border. This
led to the building of the Ross Bay sea wall in 1911. Section N was also
used after 1904 (when it opened) for Japanese burials. See also Section K.
Sections R & P:
Purchased in 1893 from Sir James Douglas’s
estate. First burial in 1904. Was previously the location of the city’s
"Old Men’s Home" ( Section R) where Billy Barker of Cariboo gold rush fame lived
out his last days on earth.
Section T: Anglican:
Consists of the land east of the stream
that originally bounded the cemetery’s eastern side. Section T received
its first burial in 1907.
Section U adn V: Roman Catholic:
Originally part of the Ross estate,
it passed through many owners until the Roman Catholic Church bought it. Section V contains the plot for the Sisters of St. Ann.
Cross of Sacrifice Section W: General:
Contains the Cross of
Sacrifice, the Naval Memorial and many graves of soldiers who died in
Victoria. The military graves are maintained by the Commonwealth War
In the original cemetery plan of 1872, this section was designed to be the focal point of the cemetery with a
semi-circular carriage way around it. By the 1980s, it was seldom used and
was divided into plots and sold.
Sea Wall | Finding Graves | Markers
Jump to: Top of